Sorry I haven't posted anything for a while. The new house does not have DSL available so I will have to go with SAT link if I want high speed which cost $70/mo. Right now I don't want the additional expense. The kids are doing well both have pulled up their grades in school. The new puppy is a pain in the ass its like having another kid. We are finishing off the basement at the house a little at a time. I spent 5 days in the field elk hunting only to see cows. This year has been bad did not see very many animals harvested. I have read several different posts and articles about how bad the economy is and as of yet we have not seen a huge difference in the negative. Barb's tips took a dive for a little bit but seem to be back to normal, also gas prices have dropped significantly and the new house is cheaper utilities and commute.
I think the main reason things haven't changed for us is that we have learned how to budget better and we spend very little on extra things. By living in a isolated area we dont eat out, we dont make extra trips to the store, and now we dont have cable or internet. I am certainly wondering how bad things will get because at some point it will affect us. I have also made the decision that I want to have a house thats paid for and that is my number one goal right now. So we have paid our first double payment this month. I plan to continue paying double until the house is paid for. I am also going to put all of my tax returns and extra cash into getting this done. The way I see it is that once you have a home paid for it does not matter what happens with the economy. If I pay double payments my house will be paid for in 7 years. Now I know that life will probably get in the way of doing this but my hope is that once I get into the habit of doing it I will stay with it.
The thing is that up here in the mountains there are a lot of people who pay as they go for whatever reason. Many of them live in travel trailers, drive 15 year old cars, cut firewood, have no tv, dont have any credit cards, hunt and fish for food, and work as little as they have to. I once thought that these people were just lazy and some are but many I have come to know just prefer a simpler life. I guess what I am saying is that I would rather be poor and live where I do than be rich anywhere else.
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yeah, simpler life. Rob and I don't really do extra anymore...we rarely eat out and we don't really buy much...we are thinking about shutting off our cable, since they have a monopoly and there's no basic cable anymore. But I need the internet for school. Here in Ohio though - we have had 1000's of jobs lost...whirlpool, GM, Jeep, small businesses...it's quite different...
I hear you. Life will get in the way - it always does, but stick to your plan as much as you're able & God will bless that. Praying that our business keeps booming and my job remains stable so that I am able to make some plans of my own now that Brodie's getting older. Love & miss you guys every day.
Glad to see you all try to maintain a good life of your choise, as you get older much is not a choise. Even is Jim and I would have had invested retirements - they would have been lost in the current market since we never attained a retirement from one company for years of service.. I would say that doing what you enjoy and investing in people is more important than what a job pays and great rewards are
often just an internal joy rather than the result of a pay check. We love you. Our rent is going up to $685.00 - really need to move but Jim is not too agreeing. Much of our income is too his needs of cable and internet and eating out...
Post a Comment